IPB     IPB     IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
Azsolo.com · Results · Registration

Tire Rack

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nascar Lobbies To Squash Urban Racing - Scca Impacts?, new legislation restricting urban racing may affect us - write your Le
LP
post Jun 2 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #1

Group: AZ Region Member
Member No.: 31

This was sent to me by a buddy at work. Has anyone heard anything about this ? (I havent)

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/25586/

" There’s a bill about to be introduced in the Arizona Senate that would effectively outlaw any automotive competition in that state not held at an existing racetrack (click here for story). Although the bill appears to be aimed at a proposed Champ Car street race in Phoenix, the effects would be felt much farther down the motorsports food chain.

If this bill – actually an amendment to a marriage license bill, once again demonstrating that politicians have no shame – passes, any motorsports competition that produces noise levels above 90 decibels (about that of a lawnmower) would be outlawed unless it takes place at a closed-course racing facility.

Stage Rally does not typically take place on a closed-course dedicated motorsports facility. Neither does autocross, RallyCross or AMA Supercross. Many kart races are held on temporary circuits. All would apparently be outlawed under such a law, unless, of course, the noise levels could be kept below 90 dB. In other words, any form of automotive competition that involves hard acceleration would be illegal unless it’s held at a racetrack. Especially troubling is the fact that the amendment does not specify how and at what distance sound would be measured.

Why are the members of Arizona’s legislature so concerned about racing that doesn’t involve a racetrack? Chances are they’re not, but someone has convinced them they should be. All signs seem to point to NASCAR and the International Speedway Corporation, owner of Phoenix International Raceway in the Phoenix suburb of Avondale. It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve tried such a thing – remember the lawsuit attempting to stop the Miami Grand Prix Champ Car/American Le Mans Series race, which took place not too far from Homestead Miami Speedway, another ISC-owned facility?

If the 800lb. gorilla of American motorsports is really behind this, is it really their intention to shut down grassroots motorsports in the state of Arizona? Probably not, but that would be the consequence. And if this anti-competition law succeeds in Arizona, you can bet it will be tried elsewhere.

The funny thing is that ISC makes a lot of money from amateur racers. Its tracks are rented out on a regular basis to groups such as the Sports Car Club of America, the National Auto Sport Association and marque clubs like the Porsche Club of America. ISC tracks even rent out their parking lots to these clubs to hold autocrosses (a gray area under the proposed law, since such competitions don’t actually take place on a racetrack).

The force behind the bill, be it NASCAR, ISC or some well-intentioned-but-ignorant lawmaker, may only be trying to kill one street race. But they’re using a mighty big hammer to do it, one that could wipe out a big chunk of grassroots motorsports in Arizona, and eventually the country. "

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bartcatz
post Jun 2 2006, 07:44 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 432

Please merge if posted in off-topic or elsewhere.

The back story is that Champ Car is attempting to bring a street race to Phoenix. NASCAR, with their significant local lobbying force, are attempting to swing certain members of AZ Legislature to pass laws effectively prohibiting urban racing.

I am posting this here, because the proposed legislation may affect SCCA Solo and other "parking lot" events.

Write your Legislator. Not only to allow Champ Car to come to Phoenix - which would be a completely complimentary event to PIR - but to ensure our ability to Solo is protected.

--snip--

NASCAR/ISC’s mafia-like behavior in Phoenix UPDATE #3 A note from Champ Car,

Dear Champ Car Fans,

Champ Car is looking to bring all of the excitement of Champ Car racing to downtown Phoenix next year. Some groups who do not support a Champ Car race in the area, including Phoenix International Raceway, have engaged in efforts to prevent the race from happening.

Just this week, opponents of the race have introduced an amendment to Senate Bill 1210 in the Arizona State Legislature that would effectively make it illegal in Arizona to run any type of race on a temporary circuit. Here is what it says:

“A city or town shall not sponsor or allow to be held within the city or town a motor vehicle competition outside of a closed-course motor sport facility at which the sound level exceeds ninety decibels at any time.”

If successful you would not be able to experience all the excitement of downtown Champ Car “Festival of Speed” in your own home state.

We need your help to defeat this initiative. Please take a minute to e-mail your State Senator and House Representative right now. You can access the e-mail address for all Arizona Legislators at the following link: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/MemberRoster.asp

Thanks for your help in supporting Champ Car’s effort to bring open wheel racing to Arizona. Champ Car
06/01/06 AutoRacing1.com has learned that house bill 1210 was “held” (tabled for further discussion) today meaning it did not yet go forward with the proposed NASCAR amendment that would have outlawed racing on the city streets in Arizona. The legislation, if it moves forward, would affect the ability of the SCCA and other grassroots racing organizations to run 'parking lot' autocross events in Arizona. That would be a real shame for all of the amateur racers out there who would get caught up in this monopolistic activity by NASCAR. We would have thought that an anti-trust lawsuit in Texas and Kentucky would stem this kind of behavior.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JLawson
post Jun 2 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #3

Group: Autocrosser
Member No.: 503

Oh well. We could all just quit driving fast and take up knitting I guess. sad.gif

--------------------
1980 Fiat X1/9, HCR
2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo, STU

+Quote Post
Daniel Short
post Jun 2 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 30

all this happening right before TFATF3 comes out... great, even more reason for them to support the bill.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
bartcatz
post Jun 2 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 432

Robin Miller article, including text of legislation.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/25568/

--------------------

+Quote Post
beast
post Jun 2 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 75

Obviously i don't understand the workings of government very well, but adding an amendment concerning racing to a bill about marriage licenses is simply asinine. I'd object to that amendment just on general principle.

Btw, this is what i found about bill 1210 at the AZ State Legislature website: Senate Bill 1210. Look under Proposed Amendments.

--------------------
Jonathan Eddy
2005 Silver WRX STi, STU
2007 Silver Nissan Frontier Nismo, for RallyX!

+Quote Post
kvenisn
post Jun 2 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Group: Steering Comm., voting member
Member No.: 24

FYI, if you want to contact your legisators here is a link:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/alisStaticPag...ntactMember.asp

edit:
I just sent an email to my representatives, here is the text:

To Whom It May Concern,
My name is Kevin Venisnik and I am resident of district 8 and I am a voter and make it a point to vote in all elections, local and otherwise. I am writing you to express my extreme opposition to the proposed amendment to SB1210 that would outlaw motorsports that are held outside of a dedicated motorsports facility.

My opposition is on two counts:

1. I feel this is an attempt to squash any possiblility of holding an autombile race in downtown Phoenix on a temporary street circuit. I am in favor of such and event and feel that the decision to hold this event or not should be considered on it's individual merits and not outlawed by a broad, sweeping bill. I believe this amendment has been introduced at the behast Phoenix International Raceway in order to quell any possible competition to events they hold there.

2. I feel that this bill would threaten autocrossing which is a timed motorsports event held on a temporary circuit defined by traffic cones in a large paved area such as a parking lot or skidpad. I regularly participate in these events and feel that they are a safe environment for particpants to explore the handling limits of their vehicles without a threat to their or other's safety. I believe that the availability of events like these serve a safe alternative to much more dangerous and illegal activities such as street racing. This bill would threaten these safe alternatives and ultimately lead to more teenagers racing on the streets and highways of Arizona in a dangerous and illegal manner.

Please be advised that any action taken on this amendment will have a direct impact on how I vote in any and all upcoming elections.

Sincerely,
Kevin L Venisnik

--------------------
Kevin Venisnik
2018 AZ Region Solo Director

+Quote Post
Joe Wells
post Jun 2 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 167

I took a look at http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Bills.asp and of recent bills proposed in the house and the senate I do not find anything currently that resembles this type of a ban. Unless it is an amendment piggybacked onto some existing bill I do not see anything as of right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Wells
post Jun 2 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 167

This is all quite lame, to hide this amendment in a marriage license bill is very underhanded. Fortunately this is just a proposed amendment and hasnt move anywhere as of yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Clement
post Jun 2 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #10

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (bartcatz @ Jun 2 2006, 07:44 AM) *
Please merge if posted in off-topic or elsewhere.

merged ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
JLawson
post Jun 2 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 503

After exploring possible hobbies ranging from knitting to golf, methinks this motorsport thing is worth voting support.

It is especially irritating that a desire to quash a race through Phoenix could overshadow all forms of motorsport in the state. This would undoubtedly increase illegal street racing and so on. I'll write my legislator. (waves flag)

Here's the verbiage in the bill (ammendments)
ammendment

And it looks like they want to "Strike Everything" from the "noise abatement" part:
Agenda

--------------------
1980 Fiat X1/9, HCR
2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo, STU

+Quote Post
fzust
post Jun 2 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (beast @ Jun 2 2006, 08:50 AM) *
Obviously i don't understand the workings of government very well, but adding an amendment concerning racing to a bill about marriage licenses is simply asinine.

Hello? Its NASCAR, the very definition of asinine! I mean we get the government and racing that we the people ask for. I don't remember asking to see 3400lb shell-bodied, carburated pieces of crap go round and round, but apparently someone did. Let's throw technology and mechanical artistry out the window and do a factory production series without 1 single piece of factory production hardware on the car. The only thing better is if they had professional wrestlers driving....

--------------------
Indentured Mechanic
fzust

+Quote Post
fahrvergnugen
post Jun 2 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Joe Wells @ Jun 2 2006, 09:59 AM) *
This is all quite lame, to hide this amendment in a marriage license bill is very underhanded. Fortunately this is just a proposed amendment and hasnt move anywhere as of yet.
This practice has been in place for many, many years.... sad.gif

The strategy in attaching it to any existing bill is that it can short circuit the usual committee and public review process and sneak through more quickly. Not that I agree with the practice, but until somebody changes the rules of the bill amendment process then this practice will continue forever.

--------------------
Mark Shaw

+Quote Post
fahrvergnugen
post Jun 2 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (JLawson @ Jun 2 2006, 10:44 AM) *
And it looks like they want to "Strike Everything" from the "noise abatement" part:
On closer examination this is the classic "striker" bill where they take a bill already in process and near the final stages and "strike everything" from the bill and replace it with a new concept. So this is not actually tied to marriage licenses...they just found a bill which probably has weak backing and converted it...sort of like "body snatching...."

--------------------
Mark Shaw

+Quote Post
Brandon Smith
post Jun 2 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3

Hey let's use the new US Supreme Court approved Eminent Domain interpretation to seize Phx Intl Raceway from the current owners. Perhaps it would be better to give it to a non-profit, like say, the AZ Region SCCA.

--------------------
When theory and reality conflict, reality always wins.

+Quote Post
pgipson
post Jun 2 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 155

My e-mail went to Rep. Boone, the ammendment sponsor and to the members of the state house and senate in and around my district. I pointed out in my e-mail that this would also kill off the St. Johns Grand Prix as well as autocross.

I also told them if they want to do something for motorsports in AZ they can work to get AMP re-opened biggrin.gif

--------------------
Paul Gipson
Scottsdale AZ
Spec RX7# 11
'03 Miata
'91 240SX

+Quote Post
Desertdawg
post Jun 2 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 230

Sent off my email too!!!

--------------------
The first car was built for transportation.
The second car was built to outrun it.

Dwayne Tomko
1998 Corvette
Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts

+Quote Post
phoenixR34
post Jun 3 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 83

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/25612/

--------------------
Brady Dohrmann
BMW M3s - STU - About once a year.

+Quote Post
SMeyers
post Jun 3 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #19

Group: Steering Committee
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (phoenixR34 @ Jun 3 2006, 01:03 PM) *
Gasp!!! Could reason actually prevail? ohmy.gif Here? huh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Scott Meyers
Started autocrossing in *1971* with FCCA and CCC

+Quote Post
555BLACKOUT
post Jun 3 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 620

Like he said tho it was still only one battle.... The bill was only put on hold, wich either way makes me pretty angry that they would even suggest something like that!! mad.gif I didnt like nascar before now I just completly hate it.

--------------------
SSgt Juan Roman
2005 Impreza WRX STi

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 10:05 PM